Red Rover, Red Rover; Send My Divorce Team On Over
When someone is heading for divorce, he or she may need to pick a new team of friends and professionals who will be on his or her side throughout the entire process. Friends are great to bolster the spirits of someone going through a divorce, but divorce professionals are often necessary to identify a game plan or strategy to see him or her successfully through to the end.
After making the decision to get divorced, pick a winning team made up of these three important professionals: a divorce lawyer, divorce financial planner and a therapist.
Picking a Divorce Lawyer
It pays to be picky when choosing a lawyer. Consider these issues and ask lots of questions when you meet with an attorney for the first time.
- Choose a lawyer who handles a lot of divorce cases
- Ask about his or her qualifications – how many cases go to trial, how many are settled
- What payment arrangements need to be made
- Do you trust this lawyer to handle your legal affairs and walk you through the process
Finding a Divorce Financial Planner
Find a financial planner who specializes in divorce matters and who can:
- Work closely with your attorney
- Provide a thorough debt and asset analysis
- Find assets hidden by your spouse
- Project financial and tax implications of your settlement options
- Establish values for assets and business interests
- Assess your future earning capabilities
Choosing a Therapist
The divorce process can be an emotional roller coaster ride. Find a counselor who can help you:
- Cope with the emotional aspects of divorce
- Minimize the emotional impact on your children
- Approach the divorce as a business negotiation
Your goal as you go through your divorce should not be just about surviving; it should be about thriving. Establishing your team early in the process will get you started in the right direction.
If you are facing divorce, the first step is finding an experienced lawyer who is knowledgeable in family law and divorce matters.