Free Consultations: 800-639-7580
Michael B. Suffness, P.C. Main Menu

Michael B. Suffness, P.C. | 5201 West Park Boulevard | Suite 100 | Plano, TX 75093 | Toll Free: 800-639-7580 | Toll Free: 800-697-3807 Phone: 972-985-1331 | Fax: 972-985-1315 | Plano Law Office

Plano Family Law Blog

Texas child support guidelines

If you live in the state of Texas and find yourself in the middle of a child support battle, you know that there are many details to take into consideration.

You must do what is right for you, while your former partner is going to do the same. Above all else, however, you want to think about the well-being of your child. There is nothing better than knowing your child is in the best possible position to succeed in life.

Educational impact on baby boomer divorce rate

It has been well documented that divorce among baby boomers is on the rise. While this may be true, many people have a hard time understanding why this is the case.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 87 percent of baby boomers that were born between 1957 and 1964 tied the knot at least one time before they turned 46 years old. Of those people who were married, 45 percent went through the divorce process at least one time.

What is a guardianship? How does it work in Texas?

A guardianship is a court-supervised administration for a minor or incapacitated person. If you're a guardian, then you're appointed by the court to care for that person and his or her property. The person you'll care for is called a ward. In Texas, a guardianship is always known as a guardianship, although you may hear it referred to as a conservatorship in other states.

When you're seeking a guardianship, you'll receive one of two types. The first type is a guardian of a person. The second is a guardian of the estate. The same person could receive both of these kinds of guardianship appointments, but it's also possible to have different people fulfill each role.

Duchovny, Leoni finalize divorce

Many of our Texas readers stay current with the latest out of Hollywood. Those who are informed know that David Duchovny and Tea Leoni have been facing rocky times. Now, it appears that the marriage between the two mega-stars has finally come to an end.

According to reports, the 54-year-old actor filed for divorce from Leoni in June. It was reported at the time that the couple was able to settle on the terms of their divorce without going to court. At the time of the filing, Duchovny cited the reason for the split as "irretrievable breakdown of the relationship."

The divorce process starts with telling your spouse

Some of our Texas readers have gone through divorce in the past. Others have thought about this but were able to work things out with their spouse. Then there are those who feel that this is the best option for them but don't know how to move forward.

While asking for a divorce and discussing this with your spouse may be one of the hardest things you ever have to do, there are steps you can take to make sure that both of you are in position to have a meaningful, civil conversation.

Woman claims to be owed $25,000 in Texas child support

A politician in Texas has been accused of ignoring the needs of a woman who is owed a lot of money in back payments for child support. In fact, the allegations are that he would not even talk to her on the phone when she tried to get in touch with him about the issue. She is apparently owed as much as $25,000, which she would like to collect.

The woman is attempting to get that money from a man to whom she was once married. Reports indicate that the man has been entered on the sex offenders registration database. The allegations state that the woman has been working to get the money for around four years, during which time she has been seeking the politician's help.

Texas man released from jail after overpaying child support

Many of our Texas readers, especially those who are required to pay child support, have been staying current with the story of a man who was sent to prison despite the fact that he overpaid on his child support debt.

The man previously fell behind on his child support payments, but not because he was trying to dodge his obligation. Instead, this was due to a clerical error made by his former employer. Rather than the payments coming out of his paycheck, as they were supposed to, it was found that the money was only being taken sporadically. As a result, his debt continued to grow and he eventually had to pay roughly $3,000 to catch back up.

Divorce should not be blamed on Facebook usage

There are many reasons for divorce, including but not limited to arguments pertaining to financial troubles, cheating, and family issues. However, many people are now blaming the power of the Internet, more specifically divorce, for their breakup.

Many of our Texas readers, just the same as millions of other people throughout the world, use Facebook on a regular basis. A recent study suggests that there is a relationship between divorce and Facebook use. Even though this study shares some interesting information, it does not mean you should delete your Facebook account just yet.

Alimony: Two types exist in Texas

Living in Texas, you may have thought that alimony was pretty standard as part of a divorce decree. The term "alimony" is used to describe any post-divorce payments from one spouse to another, but there are actually two different types of payments you could receive through your divorce.

One type of payment is called contractual alimony, which is an agreed obligation, and the other is court-ordered spousal maintenance. Court-order maintenance was first enacted in 1995, according to the news, and now to qualify, a person must fall within a number of specific parameters. Rewards from court-ordered spousal maintenance typically apply when there has been domestic violence, when a spouse is disabled, if one spouse needs the money more than the other, the duration of the marriage, and other in several other situations.

Life lessons that follow the divorce process

Going through divorce, regardless if you are one of our Texas readers or not, is one of the most difficult times of your life. There are many steps you will take along the way, all while dealing with your emotions.

While some people dwell on their divorce, others take the time to realize that they can learn valuable life lessons as they move forward. There is nothing wrong with being emotional and thinking about the past, but at some point you have to look towards the future to ensure that you are on the right path to bigger and better things.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.