Guiding You Through Complex Legal Matters

Guiding You Through Complex Legal Matters

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law
  4.  → 
  5. Child Custody & Visitation
  6.  → Relocating With Children

When the Custodial Parent Wishes to Move

Life changes after a divorce or separation, and sometimes existing custody orders no longer reflect the present-day reality. When a parent seeks a change to legal orders, they may petition the court for a modification. One of the most common (and often contentious) issues requiring a modification occurs when the custodial parent seeks to relocate with a minor child.

Is the Move Allowed?

This depends upon many factors, including geographic restrictions that may be present in your original child custody and visitation orders.

In custody matters, Texas law assures that a child will have frequent and continuing contact with both parents (absent issues of unfitness), and encourages parents to share the rights and responsibilities of parenthood. When the custodial parent seeks to move, the other parent may feel his or her position in the child’s life is diminished or even put in jeopardy.

If you are seeking to relocate with your child, you must demonstrate to the court that the move is in the best interests of the child and made necessary by a substantial and material change in circumstances. I know what criteria judges are likely to consider in such cases and what arguments are likely to fall on deaf ears.

If you are seeking to stop a relocation that will adversely affect your relationship with your child, I can provide you with tenacious representation designed to keep your child within the close proximity you are accustomed to.

Protecting What Matters Most

I handle relocation cases, as with all custody matters, with the utmost care and sensitivity to the child’s well-being. I strive to resolve such disputes through negotiation and mediation whenever possible, helping parents find common ground and shielding the child from unnecessary strife. When the other party refuses to be reasonable, however, I am always prepared for strong litigation.

Talk to an Experienced Child Custody Lawyer

I have more than 25 years of experience handling child custody and visitation matters for clients in Plano and throughout surrounding Texas communities. To learn how I can help you with your child custody relocation/move-away issue, please contact my law office online or by telephone at 972-845-8014.